If you are looking for the best jiu jitsu books, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will provide you with a buying guide to help you choose the right book for your needs. These books have all you need to know about jiu jitsu and its host of techniques.
Jiu jitsu is a martial art that is growing in popularity all over the world, and there are now many great books available on the subject. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced practitioner, we have something for you!
The Best Jiu Jitsu Books
Let’s take a look at some of the best jiu jitsu books on the market today:
Six-time Brazilian jiu jitsu World Champion Saulo Ribeiro is renowned throughout the world for his practical jiu jitsu knowledge and faultless technique. In Jiu Jitsu University, Ribeiro unveils his ground-breaking grappling system to the public for the first time, outlining more than 200 moves that take you from white to black belt.
This book is essential reading for anyone who practices jiu jitsu because it clarifies common mistakes and then shows how to fix them. Jiu Jitsu University is a comprehensive training handbook that will essentially alter how jiu jitsu is taught all over the world. It is not your typical technique book for training sessions.
This perfect book will assist you in filling in any gaps where your instructor may not have demonstrated something yet, or where you may have overlooked something, with an emphasis on defense and survival practical remedies. With pictures to help you, this book is a detailed training manual. The black or white belt color is used to segment each chapter.
- Print Length: 368 pages
- Language: English
- Publisher: Victory Belt Publishing
- Publication Date: November 17, 2008
- Dimensions: 8.56 x 0.88 x 10.85 inches
- ISBN-10: 9780981504438
- ISBN-13: 978-0981504438
- Item Weight: 2.77 pounds
- This book will enable you to fill in any knowledge gaps that your teacher may not have demonstrated yet.
- With pictures to help you understand the training methods, it goes into great detail.
- Ribeiro gives step-by-step instructions that are easy to follow.
- Unbelievably comprehensive on advanced techniques and well worth the cost.
- Good book for experienced readers and not necessarily for beginners.
- Some people may find the moves’ descriptions very succinct.
2. Mastering the 21 Immutable Principles of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: The Ultimate Handbook for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Students
Paulo Guillobel, who has been practicing for more than 26 years, dons the hat of a scholar in the book Mastering the 21 Immutable Principles of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He demonstrates that, in addition to training, instructing, and competing at a high level, he has also studied the art in great detail.
The information in this book has been meticulously organized so that each master, teacher, and student will undoubtedly benefit from it. There has never before been a Brazilian jiu jitsu book that provides a thorough explanation of the most foundational and perpetual principles of jiu jitsu.
This is a unique book that delves deeply into the basis of Brazilian jiu jitsu techniques and tactics, as well as useful training tips. Any BJJ student should be able to find the hidden details behind any technique and comprehend why the advanced techniques are being used if they are familiar with the 21 principles presented in this book.
- Print Length: 112 pages
- Language: English
- Publication Date: June 1, 2015
- ISBN-10: 1514109328
- ISBN-13: 978-1514109328
- Item Weight: 5.8 ounces
- Dimensions: 6 x 0.26 x 9 inches
- This book will teach you about the fundamental ideas and training methods that you can start building and using to survive.
- These timeless fundamental ideas and a basic host of techniques are presented with excellent precision and thoroughness.
- A treasure for learners who value mastery over a narrow technical focus in mixed martial arts.
- This book lays out a straightforward framework for comprehending jiu jitsu for any martial artist.
- An excellent read despite being heavily autobiographical.
- Best suited for beginners mostly.
This is a thorough introduction to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu written by Nicolas Gregoriades, the first black belt under Roger Gracie and the creator of the Jiu Jitsu Brotherhood. It has a thorough and all-encompassing approach to the training procedures, skills, and ideas that form the foundation of the art.
The Black Belt Blueprint covers a lot of ground that is sometimes not covered in other BJJ books, including how to train wisely, the physical requirements of the art, and training for the long haul rather than just doing reps until your body falls apart.
Something much more beneficial than a few new moves and training methods is provided in this book. It makes an effort to deconstruct BJJ into principles and basic survival techniques that you can use in all circumstances, not just ones you’ve seen before. It is great for both mixed martial arts and conditioning for martial arts.
This book has made an effort to provide you with at least a few general principles that you can try to put into practice if you find yourself in a completely new situation. Additionally, he has invested time in both physical and mental principles. He examines the mental approach necessary to get the most out of BJJ.
- Print Length: 176 pages
- Language: English
- Publication Date: February 7, 2015
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.42 x 11 inches
- ISBN-10: 1507712502
- ISBN-13: 978-1507712504
- Item Weight: 1.16 pounds
- Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 1st edition
- Anyone taking an interest in or actively involved in BJJ survival techniques should start with this book.
- Jiu jitsu’s overarching conceptual elements are succinctly and brilliantly explained.
- Better editing and imagery are required.
- The book contains numerous links to free videos available online rather than explaining the concepts in words.
The Gracie brand of Brazilian jiu jitsu is now acknowledged as one of the best fighting techniques for unarmed combat. In his most recent book, Mastering Jujitsu, Renzo Gracie explains the inner dynamics of the art.
You will discover the influence the Gracies have had on jiu jitsu and discover the host of techniques they use to conquer their opponents, from the art’s beginnings to individual survival techniques. With over 250 high-quality images, Gracie clearly illustrates the flow of movement while sharing the intricacies of the advanced techniques required to perfect the art.
Mastering Jujitsu will instruct you on how to attack from any stage of the fight, as well as how to transition from secluded skill development approaches to a complete set of fight plans and tactics. You’ll discover how to respond to your foe in any circumstance. Whether you’re caught in a bottom position or attacking from the top, Gracie uncovers the essential tactics that will give you the upper hand.
Even the most seasoned black belts will benefit from Mastering Jujitsu‘s depth of coverage in terms of their comprehension and application of Brazilian jiu jitsu. You will learn all the tactics, techniques, strategies, and drills required for close combat fighting with in-depth coverage of advanced principles.
- Print Length: 248 pages
- Language: English
- Publication Date: May 22, 2003
- Reading Age: 18 years and up
- Dimensions: 8.52 x 0.6 x 11.1 inches
- ISBN-10: 0736044043
- ISBN-13: 978-0736044042
- Item Weight: 1.55 pounds
- Publisher: Human Kinetics
- The book’s practical application in conflict resolution and self-defense is covered in depth in separate sections.
- It is essential for anyone who wants to comprehend unarmed combat between two fighters better.
- The historical background of the sport is also covered in the book.
- More emphasis is placed on Renzo Gracie’s experience and philosophy in the book.
The legendary Royler Gracie, a member of the jiu jitsu ruling family, is defeated by expert Eddie Bravo in Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed. This Royler Gracie victory elevated Eddie Bravo to the status of one of the sport’s most feared contenders. This book offers instruction in every aspect of punches, stance, kicks, takedowns, and submissions.
Joe Rogan, the host of Fear Factor, and a former NewsRadio personality, illustrates basic and advanced moves in step-by-step photos. There are also various explanations and tactics for training and competing in Gracie Jiujitsu.
This book is everything it claims to be in terms of content. Prior to actually getting to the technical part, it begins with the requisite overview of Bravo’s history and philosophy.
The half-guard section doesn’t really offer anything new though. It is highlighted because it plays such a significant role in Bravo’s game. What it does is give you a glimpse of the particulars that enable Eddie to succeed in his position. He also explains how and why he decided to include them in his game. Bravo also instructs the reader on how to put the strategies together.
- Print Length: 208 pages
- Language: English
- Publication Date: February 7, 2015
- Dimensions: 7.5 x 0.4 x 9.1 inches
- ISBN-10: 007144811X
- ISBN-13: 978-0071448116
- Item Weight: 12.6 ounces
- Publisher: McGraw Hill
- The way the information is presented and the various strategies it offers throughout the book are excellent.
- There are numerous illustrations of the moves, in addition to a written description.
- This is a fantastic resource for advice on improving your game.
- To pull off some of the moves, you must be incredibly flexible.
- Needs a few more transitional pictures.
What to Consider When Choosing a Jiu Jitsu Book
When choosing a jiu jitsu book, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Your level of experience: If you are a beginner, you will want to look for a book that covers the basic host of techniques and principles of the art. On the other hand, if you are an experienced student, you may want a more advanced book that covers more specialized survival techniques.
- The style of jiu jitsu: There are many different styles of jiu jitsu, and each has its own unique advanced techniques and principles. Make sure to choose a book that covers the style of jiu jitsu you are interested in.
- Your goals: What are you hoping to achieve by reading a jiu jitsu book? Are you looking to improve your basic technique? Learn self-defense? Become a better competitor? Choose a book that will help you achieve your goals.
- Your budget: Jiu jitsu books can range in price from around $20 to $100 or more. Set a budget for yourself and try to find a book that falls within that range.
- The focus of the book: Some books focus on the history and philosophy of jiu jitsu, while others focus exclusively on the survival techniques. Decide what you want to get out of the book before making your purchase.
- The author’s credentials: Not all advanced jiu jitsu books are created equal. Make sure to do some research on the author of the book before you buy it. Check their credentials and see what other people are saying about their work.
These are just a few things jiu jitsu students should keep in mind when choosing a jiu jitsu book. Take your time and choose wisely – after all, a good book can be a valuable asset in your jiu jitsu journey!
So, what is the best jiu jitsu book for you? It depends on your experience and goals as a martial artist. If you are a beginner looking for an introduction to the basics of jiu jitsu, then one of the books we listed above would be a good fit.
Remember, it is important to find a book that matches your level of experience and offers clear instructions with accompanying pictures or videos. With the right book in hand, you are on your way to becoming a black belt! What was your favorite jiu jitsu book from our list? Let us know in the comments below which jiu jitsu book ended up being your favorite!